Do I have to get along with everyone?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

While it would be lovely if we could get along with everyone all the time, I am sure it cannot be done. More so, I am not sure I would want to. I do not think conflict is always a bad thing. Differences of opinion push us outside our comfort zone. Conflict can teach us new ways of seeing situations; it can clarify and solidify our commitment to our own perspective. It is in these conflicts that we test our mettle, where we see what we are capable of, where we find our limits.

There are a lot of people with whom you do not want to agree anyway. Some folks are just horrible. I know that is a politically incorrect thing to say. The relativists of the world will assert that bad is a subjective term, while the New Agers will tell you that in reality we are all good and there is no such thing as evil. At the risk of offending them, I want to state for the record that I think that is all a crock. As long as genocides and child pornography exist, I am holding on to the notion that there are people worth fighting.

That being said, there are ways to be in productive conflict, and ways that will drag you back to pre-Neanderthal stages of emotional development. I personally have run the gamut of pugilist styles and can attest to the ineffectualness of blame, shame, passive aggression, and guilt.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
How can I help a person with serious mental illness who feels hopeless?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
People with serious mental illness (SMI) often have feelings of hopelessness. Those with depressio...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Can Happiness Improve Your Health?
Can Happiness Improve Your Health?