Why do we grab small short-term gains to our long-term disadvantage?

From an evolutionary standpoint, our near obsession with the short-term at the expense of long makes perfect sense - at least it did 100,000 years ago. Our stone age ancestors lived at a time when there was a reasonable chance of dying during the course of any given day (back then hearing the phrase "Honey I'm home" really meant something). Your decisions didn't make it to your frontal cortex where risks and benefits are balanced. It seems clear, and with good reason, humans in that older era began to equate delayed benefits with significant degree of risk since there was such a reasonable chance that future benefits would never be realized. So, for the average stone-ager the decision to go with the smaller, surer, instant reward was hardly irrational. To do anything else, now that would have been crazy. Of course our problem is that what was Mensa brilliant back in the old days doesn't work quite as well today.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Mental Health

6 Ways to Support a Loved One With Mental Illness
Our understanding of mental illness has come a long way in recent years. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, an estimated 43.7 milli...
Are reactive choices really choices?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
You're comfortable with your relationships and your opinions, and you aren't particularly interested...
Hate Confrontation? Try These 5 Therapist-Approved Tactics
Hate Confrontation? Try These 5 Therapist-Approved TacticsHate Confrontation? Try These 5 Therapist-Approved TacticsHate Confrontation? Try These 5 Therapist-Approved TacticsHate Confrontation? Try These 5 Therapist-Approved Tactics
Keep your relationships intact after tough discussions.
How Can I Feel Happier Naturally?
How Can I Feel Happier Naturally?