What should I know to care for someone with muscle dysmorphia?

If you have a friend or loved one who is suffering from muscle dysmorphia but is not yet receiving treatment, you can be instrumental in helping them get on the road to recovery. Talk to a health specialist and get advice on how you or another trusted party can intervene. If appropriate, try to approach your friend in a private, safe setting with your concerns and help your loved one to recognize their self-destructive behavior. Be prepared to provide them with support information; do not, however, force help upon your loved one or press the issue if they become uncomfortable.

If your loved one is already receiving treatment, help supplement their recovery by being encouraging and offering to talk to them about their feelings as they go through the recovery process.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Anxiety vs. Panic Attacks: Understanding the Difference
You’re completely fine and going about your business when it happens again. All of a sudden, you become intensely fearful. Your heart starts racing, y...
Do my child's breathing problems increase the risk of a mental disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
There has been increasing interest in the relationship between respiratory disease and anxiety and d...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?