Can respiratory problems affect my mental health?

After cardiovascular disease, respiratory diseases, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), are the biggest global killers. There are more than 40 different respiratory conditions and many continue to progress and make it more difficult to adjust to the new challenges each disease stage presents. The gradual and persistent change in lung function can make daily activities more and more difficult to perform or more frightening to attempt. It can also affect a person's social, physical and personal activities. All of these changes can have a profound impact on a person's mental and emotional outlook.

The Australian Lung Foundation states that "it's important to empower patients with better coping skills to deal with both physical and psycho-social stressors. If care for respiratory diseases is not integrated with concern about psychological and emotional responses to these chronic diseases -- negative feelings such as anxiety, anger, tension, frustration, hopelessness and depression are likely to occur and to contribute to worsened health outcomes for patients. The prevalence of depression and anxiety in COPD patients can range between 40-90%, compared to 8-20% in the normal population."

Continue Learning about Mental Health

How to Find a Veterans Community at Home
For many United States servicemen and women, transitioning from active duty to civilian life isn't easy. Some Veterans may feel lost or isolated, or l...
How can I protect my children from generalized anxiety disorder?
Kathy SowderKathy Sowder
Even though the causes of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) are not fully known, there are some thi...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
Is There an Increase in Mental Illness Among Children?