Can muscle dysmorphia be prevented?

Because the causes of muscle dysmorphia are still unclear, it is similarly unclear whether or not the condition is preventable. Certain behavioral signs, such as a distorted body image or the beginnings of compulsive diet and exercise, may be seen as predictive risk factors that can be effectively halted if recognized. Encouraging healthy body image and self-esteem early in life may also help to keep people from developing dangerously low self-image opinions in the future. Scientists have begun to believe that muscle dysmorphia can be linked to specific DNA patterns, though, which suggests that prevention may not be possible.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Gen Xers and Baby Boomers Experiencing a Surge in Serious Mental Distress
Middle-aged adults between 45 and 59, a group that includes members of Generation X and the Baby Boom generation, may be at higher risk for for seriou...
What are examples of self-destructive behavior?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
The following are examples of self-destructive behavior: Drinking alcohol Overeating Cutting yours...
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can I Stop Worrying?
How Can I Stop Worrying?