Can muscle dysmorphia be prevented?

Because the causes of muscle dysmorphia are still unclear, it is similarly unclear whether or not the condition is preventable. Certain behavioral signs, such as a distorted body image or the beginnings of compulsive diet and exercise, may be seen as predictive risk factors that can be effectively halted if recognized. Encouraging healthy body image and self-esteem early in life may also help to keep people from developing dangerously low self-image opinions in the future. Scientists have begun to believe that muscle dysmorphia can be linked to specific DNA patterns, though, which suggests that prevention may not be possible.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

One Psychologist's Advice for Coping After a National Tragedy
The mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 has devastated the nation. As we watch a community grie...
How can I accept my physical limitations?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
You don't have to like your limitations in life, but - for healing to occur - you do have to acc...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
High Performance Health in Everyday Life