Can mental illness be caused by infections?

Gail M. Saltz, MD
Psychiatry
There is very little data to suggest that mental illness can be caused by infections, except for a condition called PANDAS. In this video, psychiatrist Gail Saltz, MD, discusses whether or not infections can cause the onset of mental illness.  

Continue Learning about Mental Health

Can a Walk in the Woods Really Make You Happier?
In an age of constant distraction—an endless barrage of pings from your phone, the hyped-up 24-hour news cycle, electronic music blasting from every s...
Can listening to music really improve depression?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Music therapy may be helpful for depression, says a new Systematic Review from The Cochrane Library....
Your Anger Management Menu
Your Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management MenuYour Anger Management Menu
Believe it or not, your mood is affected by your diet. Try these foods to for steady blood sugar and a better attitude all day long.
How Can I Plan for the Future Without Worrying?