Can alcohol or drugs interfere with treatment for mood disorder?

Using alcohol or drugs while taking medication can be dangerous. It can interfere with the medication, rendering it less effective or it can affect your physical systems negatively. Using alcohol or drugs while attempting talk therapy interferes with clear communication. Many effective approaches to alcohol and narcotic abuse exist; Alcoholics Anonymous isn't the only one. You may need to embark on these in concert with or even before you begin treatment for your mood disorder. Do not hesitate to talk with your healthcare providers about your struggles with alcohol or drugs. Those with mood disorders are prone to dependency on these substances. The doctors have seen it before; they know how to help you.

Continue Learning about Mental Health

The FDA Approved a Digital Pill That Keeps Tabs on Patients
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the first drug with an ingestion-safe sensor in the United States. The sensor records when the med...
How can I help a person with mental illness cope with sleep problems?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Sleep disturbance and sleep deprivation are well known to disorient people with serious mental illne...
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely4 Simple Ways to Avoid Feeling Lonely
Loneliness and isolation can have serious health effects—but being proactive goes a long way.
How Can I Stop Worrying?
How Can I Stop Worrying?