What types of therapy can help treat a person who wants to commit suicide?

Therapy can be effective to address suicide ideation. One type of therapy is called cognitive behavioral therapy. This therapy involves challenging and changing the person's beliefs through talk therapy directed specifically at suicide ideation. Cognitive therapy is also used to alleviate depression.

A less formal therapy is having someone listen and give the individual sufficient time and space to share their emotions, being non-intrusive and non-judgmental in the therapeutic approach.

Interpersonal therapy addresses communications skills and helps people express and understand themselves better in their relationships with family and friends.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What is behavioral therapy?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Behavioral therapy is a method of observing and analyzing the way in which a person acts and thinks....
How much does mental health therapy cost?
Mental health therapy generally includes a combination of drug therapy and psychotherapy. The costs ...
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
Learn the questions you should ask, the tests you might have, whether you'll be put on medication—and more.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?