What kind of training does a psychotherapist have?

Here’s a surprising fact: The term psychotherapist is not legally protected or regulated in the United States. That means you can legally call yourself a psychotherapist or therapist, put it on a business card, and hang out a shingle. The lesson should be obvious: avoid anyone identifying and advertising as a psychotherapist. Instead, seek mental health services from someone licensed to practice by the particular state in which you reside.

Virtually all states license 6 mental health professions: psychologists, psychiatrists, clinical social workers, counselors, psychiatric nurses, and marital/family therapists.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
What do psychiatrists do?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
Psychiatrists possess doctoral degrees in medicine (M.D., D.O.) and most have completed a formal...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
What Can I Do If I Get a Song Stuck in My Head That Won’t Stop Repeating?