What should patients know about online therapy sessions?

It is extremely crucial for patients to thoroughly research the therapist—whether they are going to see them online or in person—and make sure that the provider is licensed to practice mental health therapy, is clinically experienced in the area the patient is needing help, has received training in providing distance therapy and has experience providing face-to-face psychotherapy. 
It’s important for patients to remember that just because someone calls himself or herself a “therapist” doesn’t mean they are trained to treat mental illness, relationship distress or anyother psychological issue.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What kind of training does a psychologist have?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
In order to be called a psychologist in most jurisdictions, a psychologist must have a doctorate - w...
What is psychodynamic therapy?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Rooted in Freudian theory, psychodynamic therapy focuses on putting the clients in touch with th...
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
Learn the questions you should ask, the tests you might have, whether you'll be put on medication—and more.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?