What is psychodynamic therapy?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Rooted in Freudian theory, psychodynamic therapy focuses on putting the clients in touch with their subconscious and identify how it influences behavior patterns. During psychodynamic therapy, a person might explore childhood and past experiences to look for clues as to what's driving current behavior. A therapist using this approach might prompt the client to examine unresolved conflicts and failed relationships to resolve those conflicts or better understand those past failures, thereby relieving psychic stress and thus alleviating the need to engage in addictive behavior.

Through psychodynamic therapy, a person also might examine what benefit the object of addiction offers, and then explore alternative approaches to fulfill this need in ways that are less harmful.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
Can family therapy help me understand my loved one's bipolar disorder?
If someone in your family has bipolar disorder, family therapy may improve communications betwee...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?