What is motivational interviewing?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
To facilitate the change process during recovery from addiction, clinicians frequently use an evidence-based treatment approach known as motivational interviewing. This is a more respectful "kinder, gentler" approach compared with the traditional "tough love" approach to addiction treatment. Motivational interviewing supports people to explore their feelings about their addiction and to examine the discrepancies between their behaviors and their goals. Although this treatment is designed to avoid shame and blame, the client is continually encouraged to take responsibility for his or her actions and choices.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What is insight-oriented psychotherapy?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Insight-oriented psychotherapy is a traditional "talk" therapy that delves into how life events, des...
What kind of training does a psychotherapist have?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
Here’s a surprising fact: The term psychotherapist is not legally protected or regulated in the ...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?