What is motivational interviewing?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
To facilitate the change process during recovery from addiction, clinicians frequently use an evidence-based treatment approach known as motivational interviewing. This is a more respectful "kinder, gentler" approach compared with the traditional "tough love" approach to addiction treatment. Motivational interviewing supports people to explore their feelings about their addiction and to examine the discrepancies between their behaviors and their goals. Although this treatment is designed to avoid shame and blame, the client is continually encouraged to take responsibility for his or her actions and choices.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
Am I sick because I am seeking psychological help?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
You are absolutely not (necessarily) 'sick' if you seek psychological help. Psychology as is the cas...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?