What is collaborative care?

Collaborative care is an integrated health care model in which physical health and mental health providers partner to manage the treatment of mild to moderate psychiatric disorders and stable severe psychiatric disorders in the primary care setting.

The bulk of research on collaborative care models has focused on the treatment of depression. However, emerging research has found the collaborative care approach to be useful with other diagnoses, and collaborative care experts agree that it can be useful in treating many types of mild to moderate psychiatric disorders or stable severe psychiatric disorders in the primary care setting.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
What are the different types of psychotherapist?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
The term psychotherapist is not legally protected or regulated in the United States. That means ...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?