What is animal-assisted therapy?

Animal-assisted therapy is a type of therapy that uses dogs or other pets to improve the physical and mental health of patients with certain acute or chronic diseases. It is being studied as a way to relieve distress in cancer patients undergoing treatment for pain.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Research has validated what every pet owner already knows: interactions with animals can reduce our stress levels and increase our sense of well-being. Anxiety melts away as we stroke our cat or play with the dog. Animals create enormous motivation in people of all ages and can be an integral component in the success of treatments and educational programs. 

When animals are used for therapeutic purposes the activities are known as Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT). When they are incorporated into teaching and learning activities it is known as Animal Assisted Education (AAE). Animal Assisted Activities (AAA), such as visitations with the elderly or shut-ins, are designed to improve human physical, social, emotional, and cognitive functioning.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
Does mental health therapy include psychoanalysis?
Yes, mental health therapy does include psychoanalysis. Psychoanalysis, the oldest form of psychothe...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
What Can I Do If I Get a Song Stuck in My Head That Won’t Stop Repeating?