What is animal-assisted therapy?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Research has validated what every pet owner already knows: interactions with animals can reduce our stress levels and increase our sense of well-being. Anxiety melts away as we stroke our cat or play with the dog. Animals create enormous motivation in people of all ages and can be an integral component in the success of treatments and educational programs. 

When animals are used for therapeutic purposes the activities are known as Animal Assisted Therapy (AAT). When they are incorporated into teaching and learning activities it is known as Animal Assisted Education (AAE). Animal Assisted Activities (AAA), such as visitations with the elderly or shut-ins, are designed to improve human physical, social, emotional, and cognitive functioning.

Animal-assisted therapy is a type of therapy that uses dogs or other pets to improve the physical and mental health of patients with certain acute or chronic diseases. It is being studied as a way to relieve distress in cancer patients undergoing treatment for pain.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

Do mental health professionals integrate spirituality in treating patients?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Because of a renewed interest in treating the whole person, more people are seeking out mental h...
What is peer support for people with mental illness?
Tina WhitlockTina Whitlock
A peer support is someone who has progressed in their own recovery from mental illness and or addict...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
What Can I Do If I Get a Song Stuck in My Head That Won’t Stop Repeating?