What is insight-oriented psychotherapy?

Insight-oriented psychotherapy is a traditional "talk" therapy that delves into how life events, desires, past and current relationships, and unconcscious conflicts affect your feelings and contribute to your anxiety. During your treatment, you and your therapist identify compromises you've made to defend yourself against painful thoughts or emotions and examine how they relate to your current distress.

While the duration of insight-oriented therapy can be open-ended, a variation called brief dynamic therapy that is limited to a specific period (generally 12 to 20 weeks) is often used to target generalized anxiety.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

How can community support help a person with mental illness?
Medical City McKinneyMedical City McKinney
For any successful mental health treatment, the basic component is a close relationship with provide...
What do psychiatrists do?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
Psychiatrists possess doctoral degrees in medicine (M.D., D.O.) and most have completed a formal...
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
Learn the questions you should ask, the tests you might have, whether you'll be put on medication—and more.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?