What do psychiatrists do?

Psychiatrists possess doctoral degrees in medicine (M.D., D.O.) and most have completed a formal residency in psychiatry. They prescribe medication and, compared with the other mental health professions, specialize in biological treatments. Tips: Look for a psychiatrist who is board certified in psychiatry and ascertain if he or she will only prescribe medication or will also offer psychotherapy (only a small percentage of psychiatrists now routinely conduct psychotherapy).

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
Does mental health therapy include behavioral therapy?
Behavioral therapy is a form of mental health therapy, specifically, psychotherapy. It focuses on le...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?