What do psychiatrists do?

Psychiatrists possess doctoral degrees in medicine (M.D., D.O.) and most have completed a formal residency in psychiatry. They prescribe medication and, compared with the other mental health professions, specialize in biological treatments. Tips: Look for a psychiatrist who is board certified in psychiatry and ascertain if he or she will only prescribe medication or will also offer psychotherapy (only a small percentage of psychiatrists now routinely conduct psychotherapy).

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

How do mental health therapies affect the body?
Drug therapy is a kind of mental health therapy. It includes the use of drugs such as antidepressant...
What is animal-assisted therapy?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Research has validated what every pet owner already knows: interactions with animals can reduce our ...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?