What are the side effects of medication for psychosis?

Virtually all medications can potentially cause side effects, but not all patients experience them in the same way. Veterans taking one of the atypical antipsychotic drugs called clozapine are at risk of a drop in white blood cells, which means the veteran needs to have his/her blood monitored periodically.

Some of the milder side effects of antipsychotics are:
  • Dry mouth,
  • Drowsiness,
  • Rapid heartbeat,
  • Sun sensitivity,
  • Skin rash,
  • Decrease in sexual desire,
  • Blurred vision

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What is peer support for people with mental illness?
Tina WhitlockTina Whitlock
A peer support is someone who has progressed in their own recovery from mental illness and or addict...
How do mental health therapies affect the body?
Drug therapy is a kind of mental health therapy. It includes the use of drugs such as antidepressant...
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
Learn the questions you should ask, the tests you might have, whether you'll be put on medication—and more.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?