What are mental health therapies?

Mental health therapies are modes of treatment adopted by mental health practitioners to treat mental illnesses or disorders. To determine a mental illness, health providers analyze an individual's perceptions about himself, societal perceptions about the individual, and compare signs and symptoms of the individual to those of known mental disorders. Mental health therapies could be psychotherapeutic or somatic. Behavioral therapy, hypnotherapy, and marital psychotherapy are some types of psychotherapeutic treatment. Drug and electroconvulsive therapy are somatic treatments. Many mental illnesses require a combination of both kinds of therapy.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
How can therapy help me live an honest life?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
A fundamental element of psychotherapeutic counseling is to discover the truth about the client's or...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?