What are acceptance-based therapies?

Ronald Siegel
Acceptance-based therapies are psychotherapy techniques that use mindfulness (awareness and acceptance of your present experience) to help a person recognize and accept thoughts and feelings but not be controlled by them.

Several "acceptance-based" therapies explicitly use mindfulness, often combined with cognitive behavioral techniques, to help people who are depressed or anxious recognize when they are having negative thoughts ("no one likes me") and to accept and watch them dispassionately rather than getting caught up in the negativity. Some of these therapies also stress the positive psychology approach of identifying and acting in accordance with your values. Many hospitals and health centers now offer mindfulness and acceptance-based therapies.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

How can I help reduce my child's anger?
Boys and girls respond differently to anger, stress, and discipline. Girls, who tend to have mor...
What problems can be helped by counseling?
Connie HaralsonConnie Haralson
Counseling can help with a variety of problems ranging from short-term to long-term. Some of the rea...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
Can Being Positive Make Me Healthier?
Can Being Positive Make Me Healthier?