What are treatment options for self-injury?

Self-injury is often misunderstood. Self-injurers trying to seek medical or mental health treatment frequently report being treated badly by emergency room doctors and nurses, counselors, police officers and even mental health professionals. Finding professionals who specialize in working with self-injury is very important. With proper treatment, new ways of coping will be learned and slowly the cycle of hurting will end.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

Does mental health therapy affect children differently than adults?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The effects of psychotherapy on the recipient depend on many different variables.  Things such as a...
Can family therapy help me understand my loved one's bipolar disorder?
Russ Federman, PhDRuss Federman, PhD
Family therapy can be helpful if you feel that the both of you are not being successful in dealing w...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?