Is psychotherapy only for crazy or severely disturbed people?

There is an enormous body of research that shows psychotherapy WORKS. Whether for true disorders like anxiety, depression, or thought problems, or for issues of self-knowledge and personal relationships -- the evidence confirms that therapy is effective.

There is an unfortunate bias that still exists about therapy, and this prevents too many people from getting help. The fact is, reaching out for help SOONER makes your problems easier to solve. But it is important to find the right therapist for YOU. Different counselors have different personality styles, and finding the right "match" can make the difference between a life-changing experience -- and a waste of time. So don't hesitate to speak to a few qualified therapists before making your choice.

It's also important to know that therapists treat your personal information with respect and privacy. Not only is your personal information guarded by privacy laws, but good therapists understand how crucial confidentiality is in the development of a helpful, trusting therapy relationship.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
Am I sick because I am seeking psychological help?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
You are absolutely not (necessarily) 'sick' if you seek psychological help. Psychology as is the cas...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?