How do I practice mental health therapy on a daily basis?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry

There are many things the average person can do to keep themselves mentally and emotionally healthy:

• maintain a good balance in your life: eat fairly healthy; get exercise on a regular basis; don't sleep too much or too little; avoid using drugs or drinking alcohol on a regular basis
  • make sure the relationships in your life are healthy - that they are balanced in terms of how much you're giving and taking; that you're surrounding yourself with positive people who treat you with respect and who care about you
  • balance your work life with enjoyable activities - make sure you're doing things because they're enjoyable and fulfilling, not just because you have to do them
  • practice assertiveness: the more you stuff emotions and try to "avoid conflict", the more likely you'll be to experience problems with depression, anxiety, anger, and low self-esteem. Likewise, avoid being aggressive, which can lead to damaged relationships and feelings of guilt and shame. The more often you express yourself assertively, the more emotionally healthy you'll be.

These are just some examples of ways to maintain your emotional health. If you have a mental health problem like depression, bipolar disorder, or anxiety, you may want to speak with a professional to learn more specific skills to help you deal with these emotional problems.

Mental health therapy generally includes the use of drugs and psychotherapeutic treatment. In case a psychiatrist has prescribed medication, ensure that you follow the prescription strictly. In addition, seek psychotherapy to identify the root cause of the problem, address it, and get rid of it. Mental health therapy on a daily basis requires self motivation and medication.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
What are the benefits of journaling?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Journaling is the act of expressing your deepest thoughts and feelings by putting words to your ...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?
How Can I Avoid Negative Thoughts?