How can a person recover from a traumatic experience?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

It is possible for a person to recover from a very traumatic experience. Let’s take a difficult example such as child sexual abuse. This causes extraordinarily severe pain and suffering for many people. Psychiatrists have found that many of the people who molested young children were molested themselves as children. Although it is natural, necessary, and healthy to first feel one’s rage towards their molester, understanding that the molester may have also been molested might help them to heal. By eventually letting go of the hate and blame we feel towards those people who were simply acting out what they themselves experienced, we become free and can develop compassion. We also can begin to heal the family’s pattern. This can take a lot of work, though. It is usually unhealthy, however, to make-believe that you are coming to forgiveness before you actually feel, express, and then release your anger and rage.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

How can I help reduce my child's anger?
Boys and girls respond differently to anger, stress, and discipline. Girls, who tend to have mor...
What are treatment options for self-injury?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Self-injury is often misunderstood. Self-injurers trying to seek medical or mental health treatm...
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
Learn the questions you should ask, the tests you might have, whether you'll be put on medication—and more.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?