Does mental health therapy include behavioral therapy?

Behavioral therapy is a form of mental health therapy, specifically, psychotherapy. It focuses on learning patterns. Its basic premise is that negative behavior is a result of faulty learning. Behavior therapy aims to use positive reinforcement and desensitization to help people change maladaptive behavior patterns. Used in combination with cognitive therapy, it is known as cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
What is collaborative care?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Collaborative care is an integrated health care model in which physical health and mental health pro...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?