Does mental health therapy include behavioral therapy?

Behavioral therapy is a form of mental health therapy, specifically, psychotherapy. It focuses on learning patterns. Its basic premise is that negative behavior is a result of faulty learning. Behavior therapy aims to use positive reinforcement and desensitization to help people change maladaptive behavior patterns. Used in combination with cognitive therapy, it is known as cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What is the difference between virtual and face-to-face therapy sessions?
Julie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, Social HealthMakerJulie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, Social HealthMaker
While there’s nothing like sitting face-to-face with a client, video sessions, chat and email counse...
How can therapy help me live an honest life?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
A fundamental element of psychotherapeutic counseling is to discover the truth about the client's or...
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
Learn the questions you should ask, the tests you might have, whether you'll be put on medication—and more.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?