Can the need for mental health therapies be avoided?

Mental health therapies are treatment options for mental illnesses and disorders. A mental illness or disorder is characterized by persistently negative behavior, emotions, actions, and thoughts that may or may not lead to disruption of daily life. Very often, people with problems do not seek help immediately or see aberrant behavior in themselves. Taking advice to alleviate problems immediately, understanding and addressing the root cause of the negative behavior, and ensuring a healthy social network may be able to minimize or altogether prevent the need for mental health therapy for some people.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What problems can be helped by counseling?
Connie HaralsonConnie Haralson
Counseling can help with a variety of problems ranging from short-term to long-term. Some of the rea...
Does mental health therapy affect children differently than adults?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The effects of psychotherapy on the recipient depend on many different variables.  Things such as a...
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
What to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist VisitWhat to Expect From Your First Psychiatrist Visit
Learn the questions you should ask, the tests you might have, whether you'll be put on medication—and more.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?