What if I can't afford counseling?

James Smith
James Smith on behalf of MDLIVE

If you think you can't afford counseling, do an internet search in your area for "counseling sliding fee scale."  Many counselors will gladly work with you to set a fee that you think you can afford.  Some counselors also provide a free initial consulting session.

You can also check your community for free counseling resources.  Some churches offer free counseling services. 

If you think you need counseling, please don't let a lack of money stop you from seeking help.  You will be able to find some counselor or community resource that will gladly accommodate to your circumstances.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

Can the need for mental health therapies be avoided?
Mental health therapies are treatment options for mental illnesses and disorders. A mental illness o...
How can I better understand my feelings?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Feel your feelings initially, without the need to understand why or what you are feeling. When your ...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
Can Being Positive Make Me Healthier?
Can Being Positive Make Me Healthier?