How does counseling work?

Counseling usually works by arranging to meet with a qualified professional who typically has a graduate degree or specialized training to conduct counseling. While there are many approaches you should feel comfortable enough meeting with this person to express the concerns you have in your life. Most often the counselor will offer feedback to help you find ways you may improve your situation.

Counseling works by first developing a trusting and helpful relationship between client and therapist. The trusting therapeutic relationship is the most important factor that determines whether counseling is helpful. While there are many counseling modalities, including art, play, drama, group or movement, the most common counseling method is through talking about what's on your mind. The therapist or counselor then reflects back what you are saying, and offers suggestions of new ways to see your current situation.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What is eTherapy?
Mr. Arthur L. Matthews, LPC, NCCMr. Arthur L. Matthews, LPC, NCC
eTherapy, distance counseling, online counseling, and tele-health counseling are all terms for couns...
What is psychodynamic therapy?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Rooted in Freudian theory, psychodynamic therapy focuses on putting the clients in touch with th...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Do I Change My Thinking from Negative to Positive?