How does drug therapy work in mental health therapy?

Drug therapy can be a part of somatic mental health therapy. As the name suggests, drug therapy includes the use of medication to treat mental illnesses. Antidepressants including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-nor epinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) are used to treat depression. Antipsychotic drugs or atypicals such as risperidone and aripiprazole are used to treat schizophrenia. Antianxiety drugs such as clonazepam and lithium are used to treat phobias and bipolar disorders respectively.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
What is eTherapy?
Mr. Arthur L. Matthews, LPC, NCCMr. Arthur L. Matthews, LPC, NCC
eTherapy, distance counseling, online counseling, and tele-health counseling are all terms for couns...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
How Can I Use Positive Thought to Get What I Want?