Do mental health professionals integrate spirituality in treating patients?

Because of a renewed interest in treating the whole person, more people are seeking out mental health professionals who will incorporate their spirituality in the treatment process. Professionals like those with the American Association of Pastoral Counselors receive training in both psychology and theology. These counselors can add a spiritual perspective to the professional counseling relationship by incorporating a person's spirituality with sensitivity to cross-cultural traditions. Mental health professionals who are sensitive to and respectful of the spiritual dimension can "walk with" persons as they seek their own path to personal growth and healing.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

What if I can't afford counseling?
James SmithJames Smith
If you think you can't afford counseling, do an internet search in your area for "counseling sliding...
How do I know if my therapist is helping me?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Good therapists are caring and supportive listeners, who do not exploit nor make judgment calls abou...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
Can Repetitive or Intrusive Thoughts Signal a Mental Disorder?