Do mental health professionals integrate spirituality in treating patients?

Because of a renewed interest in treating the whole person, more people are seeking out mental health professionals who will incorporate their spirituality in the treatment process. Professionals like those with the American Association of Pastoral Counselors receive training in both psychology and theology. These counselors can add a spiritual perspective to the professional counseling relationship by incorporating a person's spirituality with sensitivity to cross-cultural traditions. Mental health professionals who are sensitive to and respectful of the spiritual dimension can "walk with" persons as they seek their own path to personal growth and healing.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Therapies

“Shock Therapy” Isn’t What You Think It Is
The term “shock therapy” may conjure images of a painful or barbaric treatment, but this common misconception, which has been partly fueled by inaccur...
What's the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
The difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist is this. They can both provide counseling/t...
How to Find the Right Therapist for You
How to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for YouHow to Find the Right Therapist for You
When you need help with a mental health issue, here’s who—and what—to look for.
What Can I Do If I Get a Song Stuck in My Head That Won’t Stop Repeating?