How can conflicts between parents affect children?

Erik Fisher
Conflict is a part of life, and in many marriages it can be part of a daily occurrence. In my decade and a half of working with couples and families, when arguments and conflicts happen between parents, it almost always impacts much more than the two parties involved. Kids can often be affected, and the impact can last a lifetime. Regardless of the genesis of the belief that the child has caused their parents' problems, the guilt can be overwhelming and can lead to depression, anxiety, drug/alcohol abuse, relationship issues, future divorce, self-harm and even suicide.

Kids often feel like they are in the middle of their parents' conflicts whether parents intend them to feel that way or not. Sometimes more significant to the child is when the parents' conflicts lead to divorce.
Bonnie Harris
Pediatrics

Parents are their children's models in good times and bad. Our children watch us and learn. When parents are in conflict children learn where the power is. If the child's father intimidates a more submissive mother, boys can learn that that's what fathers do and that's how mothers should respond. The same is true in whatever roles the parents tend to play with one another. Conflict warrants fear and until and unless the child learns to make sense of the situation by talking about it with someone who can help, the child takes in the fear and turns it into whatever power play suits that child's personality.

Continue Learning about Parenting in Troubled Times

Talking to Kids About Traumas and Disasters
In the movie Into the Storm, a tornado devastates a high school community. As the townspeople work to rebuild their connections, they find hope and se...
5 Ways to Help Kids Feel Safe in an Unsafe World
My oldest daughter was just starting to think about college when a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech. Soon after there were shootings in Crando...
How can I help my child feel safe after a tragedy in the news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
To help your child feel emotionally safe after a tragedy:Anticipate Concerns: Kids zero in on thos...
How could my actions affect how my child reacts to a tragedy in the news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Actions speak louder than what you say, so how you act -- especially during times of trauma and ...