What is a thought-free state?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Each of us spends time in the thought-free state every day. We just don't know it. The thought-free state is that instant when you're looking at a gorgeous sunset and your mind stops. Then the thought "Oh, what a gorgeous sunset" arises and takes you out of it. Any time our attention is on sensation -- what we are seeing, hearing, touching, smelling, or tasting -- and we're not caught up in thoughts or feelings, we're in the thought-free state. In these moments, we dive between our thoughts and align with our true self. You can rest in the thought-free state when you're waiting in line, walking to your car, or even folding your clothes. All you have to do is notice that you're thinking and ask yourself, "Where's the quiet?"
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

The One Exercise That Can Lift Your Spirits
Humans have set some wacky—but impressive—weightlifting records: Most weight lifted using teeth? 620 pounds. Most weight lifted with the little finger...
What is counseling?
Edward GuytonEdward Guyton
What is the saying? 'Advice is cheap.' I sometimes like to tell my clients that if you want me to gi...
How can I trick myself into feeling happier?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Adopt what University of California at Riverside psychology professor Sonja Lyubomirsky calls happin...
Can You Stop Addiction with Financial Incentives?