What is serenity?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Serenity is about coming home to your real Self and your true purpose. Just say the word serenity over and over a few times and notice what feelings arise within you: sadness, exhaustion, frustration, or grief? I lived a life where my primary family and society held little value and reverence for serenity. Serenity was something monks, nuns, and hermits entertained. Serenity wasn't something a busy successful person with kids, a spouse, a job, and community and church responsibilities would have much of a chance to experience. In my life, and probably in your life, serenity is viewed as a luxury, not as essential to the life of your body, mind, and soul. Serenity is essential to every living creature, and if we don't experience serenity in some form we will experience dis-ease on some level. Serenity practices have always been known to be good for the soul, but there is growing evidence that it is good for the body as well. Serenity is an antidote to the chronic stress that affects millions of individuals. Scientific evidence in the field of medicine demonstrates how crucial serenity is to our health and longevity. There are enormous sociological, psychological, and physical costs associated with the fallout from chronic stress including divorce, depression and anxiety disorders, unhappiness, alcoholism, obesity, child and spousal abuse, job related problems, and relational issues.

Serenity practices provide many health benefits that directly affect medical conditions such as cancer, heart disease, obesity, insomnia, diabetes, hypertension, infertility, and migraine headaches.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

How to Handle Adult Bullying
How to Handle Adult Bullying
You may think that bullying is perpetrated by nasty kids or mean teenagers. But in 2013, it happened among teammates in the NFL. Miami Dolphin second-...
What is a high-reactive temperament?
Without a doubt, children are born with a certain temperament. In fact, about 20 percent of kids...
How can I take care of my emotional well-being?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Ways to take care of your emotional well-being are:Pay attention to what you think and feel. Identif...
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?