What are affirmations?

Alice Domar
An affirmation is a simple statement that you repeat to yourself -- you say it over and over until you believe it. When you’re thinking things like, “I’m not going to be able to do this,” or “I’m going to fail,” or “I’m going to look like a fool,” replace them with affirmations: “I’m going to do the best I can,” or “This is a learning process,” or “Nobody is judging me.” Before public speaking, some people concentrate on an affirmation such as, “I know more about this topic than anyone in the audience.”
Be Happy Without Being Perfect: How to Worry Less and Enjoy Life More

Do you have trouble going to bed at night when there’s a mess in the kitchen? Do you think you would be happier if only you could lose weight, be a better parent, work smarter, reduce stress,...
Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Affirmations are positive statements we tell ourselves. Our mind believes what we tell it. When you tell your brain positive information, you are feeding your brain extremely valuable food that heals your mind and body. Many of the researchers in the field of mind-body medicine use affirmations with patients. When you tell yourself something over and over again, it gets recorded in your brain; then your mind and body believe it and you become what you have been telling yourself. A positive affirmation is a self-fulfilling prophesy.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...
Gina M. Biegel
Affirmations are positive statements you can say to yourself. You can use affirmations
to talk back to negative thoughts that come to your mind. Here are some examples:
  • I am a valuable and unique person.
  • I always do the best I can.
  • I love myself.
The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal with Stress (Instant Help Solutions)

First, the bad news: your teenage years are some of the most stressful of your life. Up to 70 percent of teens say they're stressed out, and with pressure about grades at school, parents who just...

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

Eating Processed Meats Can Affect Your Mental Health
Beef jerky has been around for centuries (the Conquistadors called the Inca’s dried, smoked llama charqui, from their word ch’arki; in North America i...
What are the emotional symptoms of a mental health problem?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
There are a wide variety of symptoms that can be indicative of mental health problems- and many symp...
How common are mental health problems?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
More common than you may think. According to NIMH (National Institute for Mental Health), it is est...
What Is the Self and How Does It Affect the Way We Live?