What activities and habits will help me readjust to civilian life?

Developing positive lifestyle habits will speed your reintegration to civilian life. Now you have more time and opportunities to pursue creative and recreational activities. Rediscover hobbies you enjoyed prior to deployment. Set aside time for intimacy with your spouse or partner. Spend time with your military buddies, but balance that with time for family and other friends. Talk to others about your combat experiences when you feel ready to share them. Keep your alcohol consumption low, because your tolerance level will have decreased during deployment. Don’t overload yourself with work, school, and household duties right away. Allow yourself plenty of time to decompress, and don’t hesitate  to accept support from friends, family, and loved ones.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

Eating Processed Meats Can Affect Your Mental Health
Beef jerky has been around for centuries (the Conquistadors called the Inca’s dried, smoked llama charqui, from their word ch’arki; in North America i...
Why is it bad to repress anger?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
The repression of anger is simply dishonesty. It leads to depression if directed inward, and hatred ...
What lifestyle habits can improve my mental health?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
We are more aware now than we ever have been of the mind-body connection. How you treat your body af...
Can Accountability Help Recovering Addicts?