How can spending time in nature help me be optimistic?

William Stillman
Health Education

Spending time in nature not only provides the opportunity for physical health benefits, it can also support mental and emotional wellness as well. Being surrounded by magnificent trees, flowers, streams, birds, and small animals can be a humbling experience. Nature continues perpetuating its ceaseless cycle of life, death, and regeneration right before our eyes. One may not help for being awestruck in absorbing such majesty, and attributing its creation to a higher power. Taking in the sights, sounds and scents can aid us in putting our lives in proper perspective.

Spending time in nature, especially walks and hikes, can also be seen as a period of solitude or communion with our roots (no pun intended!). We can be meditative, reflective, and contemplative in processing information about our lives when in the presence of nature. Personally, I never fail to get questions answered when I go for a walk in nature; there’s just something about the fresh air, trees, birds, and nearby flowing stream that aids my optimism. See if you don’t find the same to be true for yourself.

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Nature is a perennial source of Divine optimism. Every spectrum of nature fosters the seeds of Divine optimism. Each of the four seasons beckons us to the next phase of our lives. The mystical phases of the moon lure us into optimism and wonder. The powerful forces of nature beam the energy of optimism to us through each ray of summer sunlight, the refreshing sweet smells of the cool fall air, the winter winds summoning spring, and the single droplets of spring rain exciting us with expectations of summer. Nature is the womb of Divine optimism.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

How to Handle Adult Bullying
How to Handle Adult Bullying
You may think that bullying is perpetrated by nasty kids or mean teenagers. But in 2013, it happened among teammates in the NFL. Miami Dolphin second-...
What self-help steps can I take for mental health problems?
In addition to following your treatment plan with your therapist and taking your medication, self-he...
How can I help care for someone with mental health problems?
Caring for someone with mental health problems can be challenging. One good way to help is by provid...
Can Accountability Help Recovering Addicts?