How can I stop getting in the way of my own success?

Why do so many people struggle for so long to realize what they really want to do? Perhaps we should ask instead why some people hide their deepest aspirations like they are dirty little secrets, or hidden perversions. The answer? Because many people grew up with limiting beliefs that told them that success is selfish. If you're struggling with these beliefs, practice saying -- and believing -- the following affirmations:
  • "My achievements are my generous gift to the world."
  • "My desires are links to my most important service to the world."
If you are able to reframe your limiting beliefs in this way, you just might overcome the obstacle of feeling selfish for honoring your ambitions and drive for achievement.

The phrase "service to the world" may sound like dutiful self-sacrifice. In practice, world service is the act of doing that which is most exciting to you. World service is the fulfillment of your vaunting ambitions. It is when you are in alignment with your deepest desires, values, and needs that you are doing what you were meant to do.
Listening to Depression: How Understanding Your Pain Can Heal Your Life

A New Way of Thinking About DepressionWhat does it really mean to be depressed? You know depression as a collection of symptoms—fatigue, listlessness, feelings of worthlessness—and the source of...

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

How to Handle Adult Bullying
How to Handle Adult Bullying
You may think that bullying is perpetrated by nasty kids or mean teenagers. But in 2013, it happened among teammates in the NFL. Miami Dolphin second-...
Why don't mental health problems get better on their own?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Some mental health problems do get better on their own. Minor depression, for example, might not req...
What are the symptoms of mental illness?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
In order for something to be considered a mental illness by most mental health professionals, sympto...
What Is the Self and How Does It Affect the Way We Live?