How can feeling good about myself help me lose weight?

Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
I hear it every day from countless numbers of women: “I am going to feel better about myself after I lose these next 15 pounds.”

Once and for all, please hear me on this, if you never hear anything else again: Love yourself now! Every cell (including all fat cells) will cooperate best with your body in the presence of love. You must love every roll, bulge, and part of yourself that you consider imperfect in order to change anything about yourself to be better. Look into the mirror every day and tell the person that you see, “I love you” -- and mean it. I promise it works.

At the end of the day, the fountain of youth is not only in the produce section, but it’s also in your head. You are as young as you feel and as young as you see yourself. Make it the image everyone else sees, too, but start with your own state of mind!

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

The One Exercise That Can Lift Your Spirits
Humans have set some wacky—but impressive—weightlifting records: Most weight lifted using teeth? 620 pounds. Most weight lifted with the little finger...
How common is depersonalization disorder?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Depersonalization is a common symptom of many psychiatric disorders and often occurs in dangerous si...
How can cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) help mental health?
Judith Beck, PhDJudith Beck, PhD
At each therapy session, cognitive behavior therapists help patients specify the problems they have ...
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior