How common are mental disorders?

Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older - about one in four adults - suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people. Even though mental disorders are widespread in the population, the main burden of illness is concentrated in a much smaller proportion - about 6 percent, or 1 in 17 - who suffer from a serious mental illness. In addition, mental disorders are the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and Canada for ages 15-44. Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time. Nearly half (45 percent) of those with any mental disorder meet criteria for 2 or more disorders, with severity strongly related to comorbidity.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

Eating Processed Meats Can Affect Your Mental Health
Beef jerky has been around for centuries (the Conquistadors called the Inca’s dried, smoked llama charqui, from their word ch’arki; in North America i...
How do I prepare for an appointment to discuss my mental health?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
To prepare for an appointment to discuss my mental health:Write down when you started noticing chang...
What are affirmations?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
An affirmation is a simple statement that you repeat to yourself -- you say it over and over unt...
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior