How can I combat the stigma of mental illness in my community?

While researchers are working internationally to develop culturally-specific anti-stigma programs, there are steps to take to combat stigma in your community:
  • Recognize that most mental illnesses are disorders of the brain.
  • Be respectful of people with mental illness.
  • Don’t use disrespectful terms in referring to people with a mental illness, such as retarded, crazy, or lunatic.
  • Refer to a person, not just their illness, such as "a person who has schizophrenia" instead of "a schizophrenic."
  • Emphasize a person’s abilities and strengths rather than his disability or limitations.
  • Help dispel myths about mental illness.
  • Promote greater awareness of mental illness.
  • Encourage people to seek help for mental health problems.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

The One Exercise That Can Lift Your Spirits
Humans have set some wacky—but impressive—weightlifting records: Most weight lifted using teeth? 620 pounds. Most weight lifted with the little finger...
What sort of therapy can help mental health problems?
Today there are many very effective therapies to treat mental health problems. Medication is widely ...
What are the stages of behavioral change?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
Dr. James O. Prochaska, director of the Cancer Prevention Research Center and professor of Clini...
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior