How can I remain upbeat during tough economic times?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Stick to a budget: Tracking your resources helps you feel capable, not uncertain. 

Enhance your career cachet: Make yourself more valuable on the job by taking on extra duties or working a little later. If you're looking for work, learn a new skill to become more marketable. 

Know your worth: You're more than your job. Switch off your work brain and explore other talents through volunteer work, writing or music. 

Get moving: Exercise releases endorphins, the body's mood-boosting hormones. 

Make time for yourself: Be sure to remain balanced by not focusing solely on your finances or career stress. Read, take a walk, or spend time with family and friends. 

Avoid self-blame and criticism: The next time you are bombarded by negative thought grab a notebook. Challenge each negative thought by coming up with 2-3 statements that are positive. 

Network:  We know a lot of jobs are found by word-of-mouth. Make an effort to have lunch with a former colleague at least once a week. This keeps you in the loop of job openings, reminds people you are still looking for a job, and keeps you on top of what is happening in the industry but also can add support.

Sudeepta Varma, MD
Psychiatry

If you’ve lost your job as a result of the economy, what can you do?
It is often very difficult to experience rejection from the job world without letting it get you down. This is quite common. Feeling rejected and unwanted as well as questioning one’s sense of meaning and purpose in life is quite common after a job loss. However, there are things people can do.
1)      Make an effort to stay connected to people in your life- Studies show that feeling connected and cared for can not only help you recover from medical and mental health problems but is also helpful in preventing them. Making an effort to meet with friends and family on a weekly basis has immense benefits. Meet with 1-2 friends weekly.
2)      Avoid self-blame and criticism. The next time you are bombarded by negative thought grab a notebook. Challenge each negative thought by coming up with 2-3 statements that are positive (and are evidence to the contrary of that negative thought.) For example- “I was a lousy worker- that’s why they fired me”. Think of 3 exceptions to that thought. For example- “Actually, I was the first one in the office “ or “I was always willing to help a colleague when needed” or “I helped raised revenues the first quarter.”
3)      Network-we know a lot of jobs are found by word-of-mouth. Make an effort to have lunch with a former colleague at least once a week. This keeps you in the loop of job openings, reminds people you are still looking for a  job, keeps you on top of what is happening in the industry but also can add support.
4)      Keep regular exercise, sleep habits. Avoid the temptation to drink more alcohol or eat more.
5)      Get help if things are spiraling-i.e.- signs of depression include: low mood, low energy, avoiding people, low motivation, loss of pleasure in things you used to enjoy. Increased alcohol consumption or binge eating may also be a sign of an underlying depression or anxiety problem. Signs of depression, in severe cases can include feelings of worthlessness- even suicide. Consult your physician-who may be able to help with medications if needed, but also a referral to a psychiatrist and or therapist can be extremely helpful.

Ease feelings of financial stress and tension with these tips:

• Stick to a budget: Tracking your resources helps you feel capable, not uncertain.
  • Enhance your career cachet: Make yourself more valuable on the job by taking on extra duties or working a little later. If you're looking for work, learn a new skill to become more marketable.
  • Know your worth: You're more than your job. Switch off your work brain and explore other talents through volunteer work, writing or music.
  • Get moving: Exercise releases endorphins, the body's mood-boosting hormones.
  • Make time for yourself: Be sure to remain balanced by not focusing solely on your finances or career stress. Read, take a walk, or spend time with family and friends.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

Eating Processed Meats Can Affect Your Mental Health
Beef jerky has been around for centuries (the Conquistadors called the Inca’s dried, smoked llama charqui, from their word ch’arki; in North America i...
What are the classes of mental health problems?
Mental health researchers have identified a number of different classes, or types, of mental disorde...
Is there a link between exercise and mental health?
Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerPhil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
The research has proven time and time again that consistent exercise does improve mood, and depressi...
Can Accountability Help Recovering Addicts?