What is the danger of selfishness?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

Over the course of our evolution, individuals have, since the Renaissance, been freed from preconceived definitions based on their membership in certain guilds, groups or traditions, or in the roles they have assumed in families or society. Man discovered that he matters independently of his social definitions.

But on the journey that took us from the Middle Ages and deposited us in the present, we see around us evidence of the many who have turned down a blind alley, weary not only with all the conventions of the world, but with all the values and responsibilities of the world as well. If anything challenges their narrowly defined self-interest, it is an unwelcome intruder. At this dead end, everything that enables human beings to create and sustain community has been put in jeopardy. And if we cannot transcend selfishness, we become prisoners to our own limitations, caged away from our fellow men and from our own souls.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

How to Handle Adult Bullying
How to Handle Adult Bullying
You may think that bullying is perpetrated by nasty kids or mean teenagers. But in 2013, it happened among teammates in the NFL. Miami Dolphin second-...
How can I make sure I'm not isolating myself because of my disorder?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To make sure you are not isolating yourself because of your disorder, stay in contact with whoever i...
What is recovery from a mental health condition like?
Swimming in a pool versus in a storm in the ocean, and knowing you are doing so and in control. The ...
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior