How can I help care for someone with mental health problems?

Caring for someone with mental health problems can be challenging. One good way to help is by providing a supportive environment. This helps the person remember to take his or her medicine, eat regularly, and have social contact with caring people. You can also help by arranging treatment and helping the person get to it on schedule. Sometimes mentally ill people can become violent or suicidal. If that happens, you can help best by calling for emergency assistance. Family members often find that support groups can help them cope with the stress of caring for someone who is mentally ill.

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

How to Handle Adult Bullying
How to Handle Adult Bullying
You may think that bullying is perpetrated by nasty kids or mean teenagers. But in 2013, it happened among teammates in the NFL. Miami Dolphin second-...
Is optimism good for my heart?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Optimism may in fact be good for your heart. A positive outlook appears to offer some protection aga...
Is mental illness contagious?
Gail M. Saltz, MDGail M. Saltz, MD
Mental illness is definitely not contagious. In this video, psychiatrist Gail Saltz, MD, explains th...
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?