Can I worry too much about being clean?

Although good hygiene is important, worrying too much about being clean can be a problem. There is some thought that excessive cleanliness may lead to the development of allergies or asthma. Obsessing about cleanliness and spending a lot of time keeping things clean may be a sign of obsessive compulsive disorder. If you think that you may have this disorder, talking to your doctor.
Christine Carter, PhD
Health Education
You can worry too much about being clean, especially if it tips into perfectionism, which creates tension and stress. In this video, sociologist Christine Carter, PhD, discusses some ways to create balance in your home between clean and disorderly. 

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

The One Exercise That Can Lift Your Spirits
Humans have set some wacky—but impressive—weightlifting records: Most weight lifted using teeth? 620 pounds. Most weight lifted with the little finger...
What self-help steps can I take for mental health problems?
In addition to following your treatment plan with your therapist and taking your medication, self-he...
Is there a link between exercise and mental health?
Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerPhil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
The research has proven time and time again that consistent exercise does improve mood, and depressi...
Can Accountability Help Recovering Addicts?