What is the biological importance of worrying?

Worry helps with problem-solving, and the stress reaction, also known as the fight-or-flight response, traditionally is what helped us deal with ife-threatening problems, like saber-tooth tigers. The problems with stress typically happen when we go to extremes of the anxiety scale. Some anxiety is good because it helps keep you on your toes, but too much anxiety can be destructive and no anxiety at all can mean that no decisions ever get made.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Mental Health Basics

How to Handle Adult Bullying
How to Handle Adult Bullying
You may think that bullying is perpetrated by nasty kids or mean teenagers. But in 2013, it happened among teammates in the NFL. Miami Dolphin second-...
What is mental illness?
Thomas Bellinger, MDThomas Bellinger, MD
Mental illness from my perspective as a family physician has been shaped from watching a revolution ...
How can I talk to my loved ones about combat experiences?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
When you return home from military service, it takes time to feel comfortable with your family again...
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?