You can help an abused woman escape by being a good listener, sharing information, giving realistic advice when asked and providing support as a friend. You cannot make her decide to escape. That is a choice she must come to on her own. You cannot make her choose not to return once she has escaped. That is a choice that abused women often make until they are strong enough to stay away. You can give her information on resources in the community that will help her create a safety plan and prepare her to leave. You can be her friend and support for as long as you can while she travels her own path. Be careful to recharge your own batteries so you can be the supportive friend she needs.
- Q How do medications treat mental abuse?
- Q How can psychotherapy help a victim of mental abuse?
- Q How many people suffer from mental abuse?
- Q Who is at risk of committing teen mental abuse?
- Q How does a safety plan help mental abuse?
- Q How does mental abuse affect depression in women?