How can psychotherapy help a victim of mental abuse?

Psychotherapy helps victims of mental abuse by talking through painful memories and by addressing symptoms of depression and anxiety. The therapy can occur during individual sessions or group therapy. Common psychotherapy methods include cognitive therapy to help the victim learn to change destructive thought patterns. Cognitive behavior therapy helps the victim identify and replace destructive and hurtful habits with positive habits. Play therapy is designed for children to help them express their emotions through play rather than words.

Continue Learning about Mental Abuse in Relationships

How do I recognize mental abuse in my teen's relationship?
Signs of a teen suffering from mental abuse in an adolescent relationship may include depression, is...
How do medications treat mental abuse?
Common medications to treat mental abuse include antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs. Antidepress...
Can mental abuse occur in same-sex relationships?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Even today with all of the increased awareness of same-sexuality, it is stressful being in a same-se...
Jewel Discusses Her Relationship With Her Abusive Father