How do medications treat mental abuse?

Common medications to treat mental abuse include antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs. Antidepressants normalize the brain chemistry and help reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety. These drugs can also aid with sleep problems and the ability to focus. Antidepressants should be prescribed based on the specific symptoms the individual is experiencing. Anti-anxiety drugs relieve symptoms of anxiety and stress.

Kathy Sowder
Medications do not treat the mental abuse, but may help with the resulting depression and anxiety that develop from being a victim of mental abuse; they may help you mobilize yourself to seek help, to make decisions on your own behalf  and to feel enough confidence to take action or to reach out to a friend or family member. It is important to get support and to talk with someone about your situation and your feelings. It can be too tempting to abuse anti-anxiety drugs, so be sure to take them as prescribed.

Continue Learning about Mental Abuse in Relationships

How do I recognize mental abuse in my teen's relationship?
Signs of a teen suffering from mental abuse in an adolescent relationship may include depression, is...
How do I cope with the effect of mental abuse?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
That is a huge question! It deserves a huge answer - bigger than can be accommodated here. Assuming ...
How are emotional abuse and domestic violence related?
Deborah JoyDeborah Joy
Domestic violence can include physical and emotional abuse.  Both involve one person using force, th...
Jewel Discusses Her Relationship With Her Abusive Father