What is healing?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology

The Latin root for healing means, "to be whole." In essence, healing is a yearning and an impulse towards our own wholeness and fullness of being. Although seeking out a cure is a vital step in healing, it is only a part of the larger whole. Healing is a process and an intentional movement toward peace of mind, body and spirit.

Even when a cure is not possible, healing is, because you can almost always find ways to improve your mental, emotional and spiritual health, in spite of physical illness. Healing as an intentional process implies that you are capable of responding to your pain through a series of clear and intelligent steps that give you some level of control and mastery over how well your body heals.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the MindBodySpirit Connection: 7 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Colitis (Mind-Body-Spirit Connection Series.)

Fast Facts on IBS: One in five people suffers from the frustrating symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). There is no simple answer--no pill, potion, or quick fix--that will cure IBS. But help...

Continue Learning about Mental Healing (Positive Thinking)

How can I teach myself to be optimistic?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Optimism is the tendency to have positive expectations. Optimists pay attention to the things that g...
What are some benefits of optimism?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Here are some reasons to be optimistic: First, you will have a richer life and have more fun.Second,...
What happens when energy healing is applied to the aura?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Healing occurs in the energy body before it becomes apparent in the physical body. This is a corolla...
How can I use positive thought to get what I want?
Jan CampbellJan Campbell
You can create any outcome you desire through your thoughts and life choices. As we think though...