Is there any truth to the idea that positive thinking and humor can heal?

Now, it's not like your doc can write up a prescription-strength, 500-mg joke and send you on your healthy way. But don't dismiss positive thinking. Attitude and fun are as good for your body as water, sunscreen, and a six-hand massage.

Besides the fact that humor has been shown to boost brain power and improve immune-cell function (which can help ward off cancer), a positive attitude works wonders because that means you're more likely to do things like walk, eat cruciferous vegetables, and avoid saturated fats-three choices that substantially help survival chance after heart attacks, strokes, and cancer.

So instead of feeling bluer than our scrubs, take charge of your life. While you're at it, TIVO Letterman, Stewart, or O'Brien rather than watching their shows when they air (because sleep is just as important for your health, bucko). Remember, miracles do happen, and you can bet your sweet aspirin that they happen more often to people who are positively positive.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Mental Healing (Positive Thinking)

How can I teach myself to think more positively?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
You can teach yourself to think more positively if you make a point of giving positive messages ...
How can I be more optimistic?
Use these four steps to see if you can kick-start some of that optimism:  Take a daily walk of 3...
How can I use positive thought to get what I want?
Jan CampbellJan Campbell
You can create any outcome you desire through your thoughts and life choices. As we think though...
How can I have a positive attitude while commuting?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Practice fundamental virtues on your commute: surrender to the process, and, before you know it,...