Is there any truth to the idea that positive thinking and humor can heal?

Now, it's not like your doc can write up a prescription-strength, 500-mg joke and send you on your healthy way. But don't dismiss positive thinking. Attitude and fun are as good for your body as water, sunscreen, and a six-hand massage.

Besides the fact that humor has been shown to boost brain power and improve immune-cell function (which can help ward off cancer), a positive attitude works wonders because that means you're more likely to do things like walk, eat cruciferous vegetables, and avoid saturated fats-three choices that substantially help survival chance after heart attacks, strokes, and cancer.

So instead of feeling bluer than our scrubs, take charge of your life. While you're at it, TIVO Letterman, Stewart, or O'Brien rather than watching their shows when they air (because sleep is just as important for your health, bucko). Remember, miracles do happen, and you can bet your sweet aspirin that they happen more often to people who are positively positive.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Mental Healing (Positive Thinking)

How can my thoughts affect my health?
David A. Hanscom, MDDavid A. Hanscom, MD
Imagine that you are sunbathing on a white sand beach and having a great time. The reason you feel r...
How can optimism affect my health?
Studies show that optimism can affect your health in these ways:  Optimists are less likely to b...
How can I teach myself to be optimistic?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Optimism is the tendency to have positive expectations. Optimists pay attention to the things that g...
How can I boost my self-esteem with positive self-talk?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Create your own script, rather than repeating those things that others tell you that you should ...