How can I teach myself to be optimistic?

Optimism is the tendency to have positive expectations. Optimists pay attention to the things that go well and anticipate potential for positive outcomes, fostering hope and a positive mood. In depression, individuals tend to expect a bad situation to remain the same or worsen (pessimism) and become highly attuned to things that went wrong during their day, failing to notice the many things that went right. Pessimism fosters feelings of sadness, hopelessness and despair. While some people are naturally more optimistic than others, optimism can be a learned perspective. How? This can be done by shifting attention to focus on the positives of a situation.

Here is a good optimism activity: Reflect on the events of the day, identifying what went right. Initially, it may be challenging to identify these positive events because we take for granted the things that went right -- they escape our notice and don’t receive proper credit. For example, we may take for granted and fail to appreciate getting out of bed, finding a good parking space, or making it to an appointment on time. What went right for you?

Continue Learning about Mental Healing (Positive Thinking)

Is optimism genetic?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Science tells us that optimism is actually a component of our deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). You can l...
What happens when energy healing is applied to the aura?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Healing occurs in the energy body before it becomes apparent in the physical body. This is a corolla...
How can my thoughts affect my health?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
“Can what you think really affect personal health?” you might ask. Absolutely!  A school of medi...
How can I have a positive attitude while commuting?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Practice fundamental virtues on your commute: surrender to the process, and, before you know it,...